New Tickets


Criminal charges are categorized as either misdemeanors or gross misdemeanors, both of which are punishable by imprisonment and/or a fine. Criminal misdemeanor cases carry a maximum penalty of 90 days jail and a $1,000 fine. Gross misdemeanor cases carry a maximum penalty of 364 days jail and a $5,000 fine.

In most cases, the officer issuing a criminal ticket has written an arraignment hearing date on the face of the ticket. You are required to appear at the hearing, or if the officer did not provide a date, you must contact the District Court Clerk's Office within fifteen (15) days of the issuance of the ticket to schedule an arraignment hearing.

If you do not appear at your arraignment, or if you fail to contact the District Court Office within fifteen (15) days to schedule a hearing, a warrant will be issued for your arrest. See warrants for additional information.

Civil Infractions

Civil infractions are not crimes. They are violations of law that have a fine or penalty amount but are not punishable by imprisonment.

You must respond within thirty (30) days from the date issued. To respond, select one of the options as provided on the ticket and return it to the District Court. A mailed response must be mailed not later than midnight on the day the response is due.

  • Payment
    • In Person: You may pay in person at the District Court by cash, money order, cashier's check and debit or credit card. Please be advised you will be charged a 3.5% processing fee for debit or credit card payments.
    • By Mail: You may pay by mail to the District Court by personal check, money order or cashier's check. Please include your ticket number on your payment. Remit payment to
      • Upper Kittitas County District Court
      • 700 East 1st Street
      • Cle Elum, WA 98922
    • By Debit/Credit Card: Payments using your debit/credit card ban be made thru nCourt. You will need your ticket number and amount of payment information available. If you are unsure of your ticket number and/or amount to pay, please contact the Court Office prior to contacting nCourt to obtain the necessary information. Please be advised you will be charged a processing fee (see below) in addition to your court payment
    • Time-Payment: If you are unable to remit payment in full within 30 days of issuance of the Notice of Infraction, you may set up a Time-Payment Collection with Signal Management Service (SMS). To set up the "Time-Payment" you must
      *Minimum monthly payments are as follows:
      If the total amount due is under $1,000, the greater of 10% of the account balance or $25; if the total amount due is $1,000 or more, 5% or the account balance.
  • Mitigation/Contested Hearing
    • You must submit your hearing request to the Court within thirty (30) days from the date the Notice of Infraction was issued. Upon receipt of your hearing request, a Notice of Hearing will be mailed to you at the address you provide. In lieu of your personal appearance at the hearing, you may submit a Defendant's Request for Mitigation/Contested Hearing on Written Statement either contesting the infraction or explaining mitigating circumstances. Please use the Court's contested or mitigation form. Your form must be return to the Court at least fourteen (14) days prior to your scheduled hearing date. You may submit your form in person, by mail or by email:

    Defendant's Request for Mitigation Hearing based on Written Statement
    Defendant's Request for Contested Hearing based on Written Statement
  • Deferred Finding
    • You may be eligible to have your infraction deferred for up to one year under RCW 46.63.070(5)(a)(b) and (c). To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:
      • You must respond to your infraction timely, or have a mitigation/contested hearing scheduled.
      • You must not have received a prior deferral within a seven (7) year period from any court within the State of Washington.
      • You do not possess a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
      • You did not receive the infraction while operating a commercial vehicle.
      Traffic Deferral Instruction Form
      Traffic Deferred Motion Form

If you fail to respond timely or do not appear for your hearing, the following will occur:

  • A finding of committed will be entered for the full amount of the fine.
  • A $52.00 fee will be assessed.
  • The account will be referred to collection.
  • If your case is marked Traffic Infraction, notice will be sent to the Department of Licensing which may result in the suspension of your driving privileges.

If the Court has issued a "failure to appear" you may request to vacate the finding and reset your hearing. You must submit the Request to Vacate Infraction Judgment and Set Case for Hearing. Upon receipt of your request, your case will be reviewed and you will be notified of the Court's decision.

Request to Vacate Infraction Judgment and Set Case for Hearing