Food Safety Program

WAC 246-215

All retail food establishments in Kittitas County, whether temporary or permanent, are annually permitted and inspected in accordance with WAC 246-215. All efforts are made to ensure safe food for the public. If you see a problem or have a complaint about a food establishment, contact this department for investigation and follow-up. All complaints regarding potential foodborne illnesses are recorded and investigated.

The Environmental Health specialist conducts design reviews and consultations for new or remodeled food service establishments.

Food Service Permit Application Process

New or remodeled food service establishments must submit an application for a permit at least 30 days before the planned opening of the establishment (WAC 246-215-08310). To apply for a food service permit or temporary food service permit, visit the Environmental Health Office in person at the address provided below. For your convenience, the permit application and supporting documents, which outline the application process, are provided above.

Kittitas County Public Health Office
507 N Nanum St Suite 102
Ellensburg, WA 98926

Food Handler Permits

A Food Handler Permit is required by law to work in a food establishment in the county. To obtain this permit, food establishment employees must complete a food handler's course and pass a test. This process takes approximately one hour, depending on the person. New food establishment employees have 14 days in which to meet this state requirement for their employment.

The food handler's course and test is now available online at Make sure you choose Kittitas County as your county of residence.

  • You can take the course and the test at any computer that is connected to the internet and a printer.
  • The course and test are offered in multiple languages: English, Cambodian, Cantonese, Korean, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese and Closed Caption.
  • The cost is $10 and can be paid with VISA, MasterCard or Discover Cards.

If you don't have access to a computer with internet and a printer there are several places in the county where you can use a computer:

Kittitas County Public Health Department

507 N. Nanum Street, Suite #102, Ellensburg
(509) 962-7515
  • Monday & Friday 9 AM – 3:30 PM

Carpenter Memorial Library

302 North Pennsylvania Avenue, Cle Elum
(509) 674-2313
  • Tuesday: 9 AM – 5 PM
  • Wednesday: 11 AM – 7 PM
  • Thursday: 9 AM – 4 PM
  • Friday: 9 AM – 3 PM
  • Saturday: 10 AM – 2 PM

Ellensburg Public Library

209 North Ruby Street, Ellensburg
  • Monday: 10 AM – 7 PM
  • Tuesday & Wednesday: CLOSED
  • Thursday: 10 AM – 7 PM
  • Friday: 10 AM – 6 PM
  • Saturday & Sunday: 1 PM – 5 PM

Kittitas Public Library

200 North Pierce Street, Kittitas
(509) 968-0226
  • Tuesday: 12 PM – 5 PM
  • Thursday: 12 PM – 5 PM
  • Saturday: 12 PM – 5 PM

Roslyn Library

201 South 1st Street, Roslyn (509)-649-3420
  • Monday: 10 AM – 6 PM
  • Tuesday: 11 AM – 6 PM
  • Wednesday: & Thursday 10 AM – 6 PM
  • Friday, Saturday & Sunday: 1 PM – 5 PM

Upper Kittitas County Senior Center

719 East 3rd Street, Cle Elum
  • Monday – Friday: 8 AM – 2 PM

If you need special accommodations for taking the food handler's course, please contact us at 509-962-7515 to discuss options.

Foodborne Illness Information

If you have additional questions or want more information on foodborne illness, please contact us at 509-962-7515