Moderate Risk Waste

We believe that proper usage, safe storage, and correct disposal of household chemicals is crucial if we are to protect our health and the investments we've made in our land and water resources.

What is Hazardous (Moderate Risk) Waste?

Household Hazardous Waste can be identified by reading the label.  Any products labeled with any of the following words is considered hazardous:



Household Hazardous Waste - What Can You Do?

Reduce Waste

You can take preventative measures to reduce the amount of household hazardous waste you produce by adhering to the following guidelines:

  1. Consider using a non-toxic, or less hazardous, products.  When possible, use water-based, not solvent or oil-based products.  Try some of "Grandma's" cleaning products, such as vinegar and water for washing windows, and lemon and mineral oil for dusting fine furniture.
  2. Buy only what you need, use it all, or give what's left to somebody who can use it. Only non-banned products, in their original non-leaking containers, with readable labels, should be given away.
  3. You may recycle the rest of the hazardous products you have left over.

Natural Cleaning Flyer

Latex Paint

Latex paint can be easily dry out and disposed of, remove the lid and let the paint dry out in the can. Mix latex paint with an equal amount of cat litter or dry sweep. Stir in completely and let the paint dry. It takes about 10 minutes to harden. Add more if the paint is soft or runny after 10 minutes. Repeat until the material is very thick. Sawdust, dirt, and shredded paper may also be use. If there is not enough room in the paint can to stir in enough adsorbent to dry it all out, pour off paint into any plastic or metal container that is large enough to hold the material. Once the paint is dry, it can go with your regular trash. Paint cans must have the lids off, so everyone knows it is dried out.

Waste Oil disposal

Recycle Everything You Can

In Kittitas County, there are Moderate Risk Waste Recycling facilities for:

Waste Oil

Waste oil may be recycled at one of the self-serve recycling tanks at Cle Elum Transfer Station or Solid Waste Programs. The location is listed below.

Vehicle Batteries & Antifreeze

Vehicle batteries and antifreeze may be recycled at one of these locations:

Antifreeze disposal

Cle Elum Transfer Station

50 - #5 Mine Road
Cle Elum WA
Tuesday - Saturday, 8:00 am - 1:00 pm and 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm

Solid Waste Programs

925 Industrial Way
Ellensburg WA
Monday - Saturday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm

Household Hazardous Wastes (Moderate Risk Wastes)

Household hazardous wastes can be recycled and disposed of at the new Kittitas County Moderate Risk Waste Facility located at 925 Industrial Way, by appointment only.

Instruction for using the Moderate Risk Waste Facility

  1. Collect all of the waste in a box
  2. Categorize the waste as much as possible (i.e., solvents, thinners, mineral spirits together in one box, paints in another box, garden products in another, etc.)
  3. Call (509) 962-7542 for an appointment
  4. Be prepared to tell the Solid Waste Programs office approximately how much waste and the kind of waste you wish to dispose
  5. Please be considerate of other customers by being on time for your appointment

Solid Waste Programs and Kittitas County are pleased to offer this service to the residents of Kittitas County at no charge. The service is paid for, in part, through funding from Kittitas County Solid Waste Programs and grants from the Department of Ecology.

Transporting household hazardous waste:

  1. Always make an appointment before loading your hazardous waste.
  2. Do not mix products.
  3. Keep products in original containers.
  4. Label products not in original containers.
  5. Secure products so they will not tip over or leak.
  6. Store products away from the passenger compartment of your vehicle and keep them separate from items you wish to keep.
  7. When arriving for your appointment, leave all waste in your vehicle while checking into the main office for paperwork.
  8. A Waste Specialist will direct you and your vehicle into the HHW facility. Once in the facility shut off you engine and remain in your vehicle at all times. A Waste Specialist will unload your waste and direct you out.

These laws and rules are for your safety, and the safety of our staff.

For questions or an appointment, call 962-7577.

Back to top...Business Hazardous Waste

Kittitas County Moderate Risk Waste Facility (MRWF) offers an opportunity for local businesses to dispose of their hazardous wastes for a fee to cover disposal cost. This opportunity is offered to pre-registered businesses that generate less than 220 pounds per month or batch of dangerous waste, or less than 2.2 pounds of acutely hazardous waste; and accumulate less than 2,200 pounds of dangerous waste per batch. These businesses are referred to as Small Quantity Generators. Hazardous wastes generated from Regulated Businesses (businesses that exceed the above definition) cannot be accepted.


  1. Collect all of the waste
  2. Categorize the waste as much as possible (i.e., solvents, thinners, mineral spirits together, paints together, etc.)
  3. Call (509) 962-7577 to arrange for the Solid Waste Specialist to visit your business, inventory your waste, give you your disposal cost, and complete the "cradle to grave" paperwork
  4. Arrangements will be made at that time for an appointment for disposal/recycling of your waste
  5. Bring your waste and the inventory sheet copy to the MRWF at the appointed time
  6. Once at the facility, stay in your vehicle and refrain from smoking
  7. Solid Waste staff will unload your vehicle, complete your inventory sheet, and give you a receipt for your waste

You will be unloaded and on your way in approximately 15 minutes.

For questions pertaining to hazardous waste, contact the Kittitas County Solid Waste Specialist at (509) 962-7577.