Special Waste


The National Emissions Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP, 40 CFR Part 61) are the regulation governing the handling, transportation and disposal of asbestos and asbestos containing materials.  The Washington State Department of Ecology regulates air quality issues regarding asbestos and the State Department of Labor and Industry (L&I) addresses worker-related concerns.

For Kittitas County specific information on Asbestos disposal, contact Waste Management at 925-9688 or the Greater Wenatchee Landfill at 509-884-2802 to schedule disposal.


For information on recycling computers check out the  E-Cycle Washington web site.
For more information about the program, read the E-Cycle Washington program flyer .

Demolition Debris

What is demolition waste?

Demolition waste means solid waste, largely inert waste, resulting from the demolition or razing of buildings, roads and other man-made structures. Demolition waste consists of, but is not limited to, concrete, brick, bituminous concrete, wood and masonry, composition roofing and roofing paper, steel, and minor amount of other metals like copper. Any other material, other than wood, that is likely to produce gases or a leachate during the decomposition process and asbestos wastes are not considered to be demolition waste.

Contractors, Commercial Haulers

Contractors and commercial haulersContractors and commercial haulers with pre-existing accounts have two choices for disposal for demolition debris:

  1. Directly to the demolition disposal area at the Ryegrass Landfill for a fee of $9.00 per yard (must have established account with Kittitas County Solid Waste Programs), or
  2. Delivery to the Ellensburg or Cle Elum Transfer Stations.

General Public Self Haul

Residents of Kittitas County may bring demolition debris to either the Ellensburg  or Cle Elum Transfer Stations.

Note: For these fees to be in effect, all demolition debris must be kept separate from other garbage, yard waste, etc.

Go to top of page...Home/Medical Wastes

The Problem

If you use syringes to control diabetes, allergies or any other medical symptom, your loose syringes thrown in your trash can hurt people. In a recent study, 10% of waste collectors in Washington State said that they had been stuck by a loose syringe in the trash! Even though you may feel healthy, your used syringes can pass on germs.

Diseases as serious as Hepatitis B can result from an accidental needle stick!

The Solution

Syringes disposed of properlyUsed pop bottles or milk jugs
These can be used to collect disposable syringes. Label the containers with a bright red warning sticker that you have made, with the words (Used Syringes), or contact the Solid Waste Office for a bright red "Biohazard Sticker". Carefully put each of your used syringes into the bottle. Screw the cap back on tightly, or put tape over the closed bottle cap when the bottle is full. Dispose of the filled bottle at one of the Transfer Station disposal/collection sites or to the Solid Waste Office at 925 Industrial Way, Ellensburg for safe disposal. Sharps may no longer be disposed of in your trash.

Mail-back Programs
Sharps users may obtain a new box of needles in exchange for the old ones through the Syringe Exchange Programs (SEP) For additional information contact the North American Syringe Exchange Network at 1-253-272-4857 or at www.nasen.org.

Another Solution

Find a pharmacy participating in a needle return program. Get a commercial "sharps" container, and bring it back to the pharmacist when it is filled.

For a brochure and biohazard stickers, contact the Solid Waste Programs office.

Syringes flyer

Liquid Wastes

Liquid WastesLiquid waste (septage) is accepted by the County from septage pumping firms for disposal in County owned and operated liquid waste evaporation lagoons.


Mercury can be found in, but is not limited to, old mercury switches from automobiles, thermometers and electronic equipment.

Mercury affects the nervous system impairing the way we hear, talk, see, walk, feel and think. A very small amount of mercury can do significant damage.

Petroleum Contaminated Soil

Soil contaminated by petroleum products through a spill or dumping is generally disposed of through a contractor permitted to recycle or dispose of such soil; however, for small spills of petroleum products, other options may apply.

Go to top of page...

For more information, contact the Solid Waste Programs office.