Increase in Number of Local Victims of Fraudulent Unemployment Compensation Claims

This is also a good reminder to watch out for phone and internet scams – also very common during a crisis – and to be diligent in monitoring your personal accounts for signs of fraudulent activity.

If you become aware of or suspect you have been a victim of unemployment fraud, you should:

  1. Contact HR/Payroll:
    contact your organization’s HR and/or Payroll staff to coordinate and report the incident to your employer;
  2. Contact WA Employment Security Department:
    report the identity theft to WA Employment Security Department (ESD) or the state unemployment insurance agency in which the fraudulent claim was filed;
  3. Police Report:
    file an online or non-emergency report with the law enforcement agency whose jurisdiction you live in;
  4. Contact One of the Major Credit Bureaus:
    obtain a free credit report from Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion. Also, report to the credit bureaus that the fraudulent claim was made using your identity and provide them with the case number of your police report;
  5. Contact the Internal Revenue Service:
    report the identity theft to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Provide the IRS with the case number of your police report;
  6. Contact the Federal Trade Commission:
    report the identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at Provide the FTC with the case number of your police report; and
  7. Keep Your Records:
    keep any related notes, copies of emails, etc. This is the paper trail for future reference, such as if you locate inaccuracies on your credit report.