Permits are Necessary

Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any gas, mechanical or plumbing system, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first submit a complete application to Kittitas County Community Development Services to obtain the required permit(s).

Kittitas County Code Title 14, Building and Construction

When is a building permit required?

It is easier to answer this question by listing the work exempt from a building permit per the International Building Code Section 105 and the International Residential Code Section R105:

  • One-story detached accessory structures (to non-residential uses) used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet and is not closer than 6-feet to any other structure or located in a floodway. These exempt structures must meet the applicable property line setback requirements.
  • One-story detached accessory structures (to residential uses) provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet and is not used for habitable space. These exempt structures must also be at least 6-feet from any other structure and not located in a floodway. These exempt structures must meet the applicable property line setback requirements.
  • Fences not over 7 feet high.
  • Oil derricks.
  • Retaining walls which are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids.
  • Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
  • Platforms, sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below and which are not part of an accessible route.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  • Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy, as applicable in Section 101.2, which are less than 24 inches deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground.
  • Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes and not including service systems.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Group R-3, as applicable in Section 101.2 and Group U occupancies.
  • Movable cases, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches in height.

Exemptions from the permit requirements shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in a manner in violation of the building code or any other law ordinance of this jurisdiction.

Types of permits obtained from Community Development Services

  • Building permits
  • Mechanical permits
  • Plumbing permits
  • Manufactured/modular home placement permits
  • Fireplace/woodstove installation permits
  • Roofing permits
  • Swimming pool/hot tub permits
  • Fencing permits (over 7-feet high)
  • Demolition permits
  • Relocation permits
  • Fire damage repair permits
  • Change of occupancy permits
  • Fire sprinkler/alarm permits
  • Fuel tank placement permits
  • Gas piping permits
  • Gas conversion permits
  • Sign permits