Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan

FAQs

How is this project funded?
Kittitas County received a $150,000 grant from FEMA to develop the plan. The grant will cover 87.5% of the cost. The remaining 12.5% will be covered by in-kind contributions of County staff, the Planning Partnership, and the Steering Committee. The grant allowed Kittitas County to hire Tetra Tech, an engineering and consulting firm, to help write the plan.
What is a Hazard Mitigation Plan (HMP)?
A Hazard Mitigation Plan assesses the risk of natural hazards occurring within Kittitas County. For each hazard type, the risk assessment will include: mapping hazard areas of concern, past occurrence review, building counts within hazard areas, potential dollar loss to structures, review of the impact to life safety and health, vulnerability analysis for buildings, critical facilities and infrastructure, and a buildable lands analysis.

The plan includes mitigation projects for each hazard that will reduce or prevent impacts from natural hazards, and goals, objectives and strategies to guide implementation of the mitigation projects. Some examples of mitigation projects are: acquiring hazard prone property for conservation, elevating existing structures above flood levels, soil stabilization projects to reduce the risk of landslides, structural retrofits to existing buildings to reduce the risk of earthquakes or other hazards.
Why do we need a HMP?
Without a FEMA approved plan, local governments are unable to receive non-emergency disaster assistance. This includes grant funding for mitigation projects, which prevent or reduce the impacts of natural disasters. An approved FEMA plan allows participating jurisdictions to apply for grants for the mitigation projects identified in the plan.

For more information, visit FEMA's Hazard Mitigation Plan Laws, Regulations, and Guidance.
What types of natural hazards are in Kittitas County?
The Washington State Enhanced Hazard Mitigation Plan identifies many hazards in Kittitas County. These hazards will be assessed during the planning process, and include:
  • Earthquake
  • Wildland Fire
  • Flood
  • Severe Storm (40+ mph sustained winds and/or significant snow or rain)
  • Landslide
  • Avalanche
  • Drought
  • Volcano/Lahar/Ash Fall
Hazards that are not addressed in the state's plan, but will be included in the County's plan, include:
  • Seiche (waves in enclosed bodies of water generated by earthquake, wind, or landslide)
  • Dam Failure
For more information, visit Washington State Enhanced Hazard Mitigation Plan.
How can I get involved?
The Hazard Mitigation Plan must be updated in 2017. The update process will begin in 2016 and will involve the public. Until then, you are welcome to provide comments and suggested actions to be considered during the update.