History

Built as a response to the nation's involvement in World War II, Bowers Field, north of Ellensburg, Washington, was created using federal taxes designated for the war effort. After the war, the airport and the surrounding 1,100 acres were deeded to Kittitas County in 1948 with the understanding that the airport would continue in operation as a public airport and that revenue from the surrounding property would be used to support it. The airport has existed in several ownerships first being private/local citizens, US Government, City of Ellensburg, Port District and finally Kittitas County who is the current owner.