Press Releases and Public Service Announcements
- Kittitas County Public Works Celebrates National Public Works Week 05/14/2013
- In accordance with the tradition of the American Public Works Association, those who work in professions that provide and maintain public facilities and services will be honored during National Public Works Week, May 19-25, 2013.
- What’s Happening with the Flood Control Zone District 04/24/2013
- Spring weather is here, and the Flood Control Zone District reminds residents to remain aware of potential flooding. Warm winds and heavy rains can cause instant flooding, such as was seen in the May 2011 flood. Because of the County’s complex network of canals, ditches and streams, it is important that everyone be aware of potential flooding no matter where you live.
- Warm Weather Causing Minor Flooding 04/03/2013
- Warm spring weather is causing streams in the Kittitas Valley to rise. On Wednesday, April 3, minor flooding on Naneum Creek and other streams east of Ellensburg was reported. Sandbags are available at the fairgrounds parking lot north of Western Village, at University Way and Alder Street.
- Kittitas County is Paving Kittitas Highway in 2013 02/22/2013
- Kittitas County will begin improving the Kittitas Highway project earlier than originally planned. This is due to recent and unexpected changes in fiscal policy on federally funded transportation projects. On February 4, 2013, Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) notified Kittitas County that at least $1.4 million in federal transportation dollars must be ready to spend on the Kittitas Highway Safety Improvements federal project starting June 1, 2013, or the funds will be made available to other projects within the state.
- County seal coating of roads begins 07/31/2012
- Kittitas County Public Works Department crews and equipment will begin the annual seal-coating or chip-sealing program on selected roads throughout the county this week.
- Minor Flooding Predicted on Yakima River 04/23/2012
- The National Weather Service is predicting minor flooding on the Yakima River and small streams this week.
- Flood Control Zone District Public Outreach Program Set to Begin 02/21/2012
- Kittitas County has announced five public meetings at different locations in the County to discuss the proposed county-wide Flood Control Zone District. The Public Works Department will host these public meetings which are open to anyone interested in learning about this proposal. The same information will be presented at all five locations. All meetings will start at 6:00 p.m. and be held at:
Ellensburg City Hall on 2/23
Centennial Center in Cle Elum on 3/14
Teanaway Grange on 4/25
Easton High School Library on 5/16
Kittitas City Hall on 6/6
- County Road Improvements Open House 09/01/2011
- Kittitas County Public Works will hold two Open Houses for proposed road improvements projects. One Open House will be held in the Upper County and one in the Lower County.
- Nelson Siding Road Improvements Public Meeting 05/19/2011
- The Kittitas County Department of Public Works is hosting a public meeting on June 2, 2011 at 6:00 p.m. to discuss improving Nelson Siding Road, a construction project scheduled to begin in 2012. Persons attending this public meeting will be able to talk to County Public Works staff about this project. Washington State Department of Transportation staff will also be there to discuss I-90 construction projects in Upper County.
- Natural Disasters: Are you At Risk? 02/10/2011
- The Kittitas County Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan Steering Committee will be hosting two open houses on February 17, 2011 and would like to invite local residents to attend to learn about floods, earthquakes, wildfires and other hazards that may impact Kittitas County.